2-step activation or two-factor authentication increases the security and safety of your Hotmail account. When you set up the two-step authentication, you need to enter your password in the first step and the security code provided in the second step to get access to the emails in your account. This will make it more complicated for someone else trying to access your Hotmail or Microsoft account.
Even if your password is compromised, it is difficult to access the account by guessing the security code for the second step. When you set up this verification system, you need to present your email address, your mobile phone number or authentication app. When you try to sign in from any new location using a new device, the service will send you a security code. You need to enter this security code in the sign-in page of Hotmail or Microsoft account to gain access to the account.
Activate two-step verification
To activate the two-step verification for your Hotmail account follows the steps given below.
- Visit the account setting page of Hotmail and look for the field to enter your email address and phone number. These fields are visible under the security info section. If you do not have an email address or phone number to provide then click on the link “Add security info” and follow the given instruction.
- The 2-step activate relies on your phone number which is connected to your Hotmail account. So, make sure that you enter the registered phone number for your Hotmail account in the field provided. Else you will need to use the email account to get the secondary sign-in code.
- Now you have to click on the link “Set up two-step verification“.
- You will reach the 2 step verification setup page. Follow the guidelines given to complete the setup process and then click “Done” button.
- You have to provide the verification code in this page which will be sent to your mobile phone through SMS or to the alternate email address given by you to complete the setup process.
Once you complete the process, you will receive a confirmation through email from Microsoft. This will be sent to the alternate email address provided by you during the setup. Alternately, you can use an authenticator program or app, with your Hotmail or Microsoft account to do the verification.
Setting up Authentication app
You can install this identification verification app on various mobile devices such as windows phone, Android devices, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, etc. These authentication apps can work even if your device is not connected to the internet. The Google authentication app is a good example. To use the app pair the app with your Microsoft or Hotmail account. Here are the steps to follow.
- According to the type of device you are using to access the mail account, select the authenticator app and download it. Google authenticator is suitable for BlackBerry, Android and iOS devices. Microsoft authenticator is the option for Windows phone users.
- Visit the security info page of Microsoft and you can see the directions to set up the mobile app in this page. You can alternatively click on the link “Set up identity verification app” given in the “Identity verification apps” section.
- Launch the app on your device and scan for the barcode on your device screen.
- The security code will appear in the verification app you have launched.
- Enter this verification code in the field and click “Pair” button.
Some of the devices and apps will not support the use of security codes. In such cases, you need to go to the security info page and generate passwords for the app to do the log in.
How to turn off 2-step verification?
If you do not wish to use the two-step verification, you can turn off the settings by following the simple steps given here.
- Sign into your Microsoft account or Hotmail account by visiting the security settings page.
- Select “Turn off 2-step verification” under the two-step verification options.
- Follow instructions provided to turn off in the settings.
When you turn off the 2- step verification, you will need to verify the identity using security codes only periodically or when there is any risk to the security of your account.
More and more people have started using email for their communication and data sending needs and it is becoming very difficult to keep these communications and data protected away from the prying eyes on the internet. From 2013, Microsoft has started offering 2- step verification for signing into their account. This move came from the fact that accessing the mailbox using 1- step verification was not enough to make the sensitive data in the mails secure.
However, 2-step verification is optional and the user can decide whether they want to use it for added protection to their Microsoft or email accounts. The new system offers additional verification featuring codes. This system ensures the users that they can rely on the services offered by Hotmail or Microsoft. The Hotmail account 2- step activate will protect your email account no matter from where you are accessing the emails or what device you are using. You can use the 2- step verification on desktops, Microsoft apps, and Android and iOS devices, etc., and on different Microsoft services such as hotmail.com, Windows, outlook.com, Sky Drive, and Office.